In honor of National Grilled Cheese Day, I give you a simple recipe from chow.com that’s both spicy and cheesy–the pillars of deliciousness. You’re welcome.
Sautéed Jalapeño and Aged Jack Grilled Cheese
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 ounces grated aged Monterey Jack cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 7-by-3-inch-long) slices pain au levain
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. When it’s heated, add oil and jalapeños. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sauté peppers until tender, about 5 minutes. Set jalapeños aside and let cool slightly.
- Combine Jack and jalapeños in a small bowl. Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Return the pan to medium-low heat. Once the pan is warm, add 1 slice of bread (buttered side down), top with cheese mixture, then close sandwich with second bread slice (buttered side up).
- Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes per side.
Looks really good!